Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Korean Fried Chicken in Boston

I first found out about Korean fried chicken from a couple of New York Times articles. It sounded delicious and exciting. Unfortunately I didn't know where to go in Boston to get some. By accident, I discovered a tiny restaurant in Allston that sells a version of Korean fried chicken.

The restaurant is called Color, and it's at 166 Harvard Ave. It's a tiny place with about 8 tables, and a great appetizer menu. I first discovered this place when I asked a Korean friend where I could get soondae (I saw it in a drama). Soondae was an acquired taste for me. The fried chicken was an instant revelation.

These days besides the Color fried chicken, other dishes I like are the ra-bokki, kimchi pancake, and soondae. I also highly recommend the seafood soft tofu chigae. I do not recommend the jap chae, or the seafood stew over rice, or the fried calamari. The stirfried calamari is awesome though.

I like the casual ambience of the place (it is also a bolba cafe), but some people find the bright colors annoying.
I guess it would only be right to update this: you can find the famous NYC "Bonchon" korean fried chicken at this bar/restaurant place called Privus which is around the corner from Color. I don't think it was as good as the Bonchon chicken in NYC, and it just didn't feel like it was worth twice the price of what I paid at Color. I think I like the homeliness of the food at Color.

No comments: