Sunday, October 12, 2008

"Cheeseboard" in Boston

One of the few icons in the Berkeley eating scene, besides Chez Panisse, is the more accessible Cheeseboard Pizza. It's located in the so-called gourmet ghetto in North Berkeley on Shattuck, and sells only one type of pizza each day (click here to check for the pizza of the day). Slices are sold at $2.50 each, and they usually give you a tiny sliver with each order. That means if you're buying a slice each for you and your friend, you should make 2 separate orders. They also usually have a jazz band playing live on weekends.















Cheeseboard Upper Crust

The Cheeseboard sells my favorite pizza period. They used to say that at Cal, it was between Fat Slice and Blondie's -- yeah right, for 2nd place maybe.

I finally found a suitable Cheeseboard substitute in the Boston area last week. Since D(iscovery) day, I've been there 4 times in 7 days. They have been around since 2001, and they are actually a chain (the Cheeseboard is unique, and a co-op). I've seen the store on Newbury Street, but I never actually tried them till they opened the store in Harvard Square.

Upper Crust sells thin pizza, and they sell more than 1 type of pizza each day. I have only tried the slices of the day so far, and I like them. For $3.50, you get a slice the size of 2 regular slices. The food is fresh and tasty and cheap. Plus it allows me to nourish my Norcal nostalgia.

Differences (for people who care to know):
1. Pizza at the Cheeseboard has a slightly thicker crust, that is baked till hard and crispy. Upper Crust's slices are thin and floppy, allowing you to fold them (New York style). They have an excellent edge that is crunchy though.

2. The Cheeseboard sells only 1 type of pizza each day, so the pizza needs to be friendly to all, aka vegetarian. At least I think that is how they work. I've never eaten a slice with meat on it. Upper Crust puts meat on their slice of the day some times. On those days, vegetarians can order from the rest of their menu.

3. The Upper Crust sells wings. The Cheeseboard has expanded to include a daily salad, and a daily dessert since my college days, but those are sort of complementary. I think the Upper Crust was trying to appeal to the football watching crowd, although they do serve salads.

4. The Cheeseboard has live jazz. The Upper Crust plays contemporary pop cds.

Conclusoin: The Cheeseboard comes first for me. Upper Crust can take its place above Fat Slice and Blondie's, but I don't think it rivals the best.

No comments: