Sunday, March 30, 2008

A treat from Chinatown

I discovered something new and delicious in the Chinese bakery, and it's not an egg tart. It looks like a giant fluffy marshmallow, but there wasn't a label in the display so I don't have name for it. Let me call it the Chinese mochi.

It's softer than a Japanese mochi, but still chewy. The outside of the rice dough is dusted with unsweetened shreds of coconut. The rice dough is barely sweet, possibly unsweetened. The inside is a filling of sesame seeds, peanut bits, shredded coconut and sugar. It's sweet, but not overwhelming such that when you chew it, everything blends harmoniously. The smooth chewy outside contrasts well with the crunch of peanuts, the occasional sugar granule, and the rough coconut bits. It's roughly half the size of my fist, which is kinda huge. Just one makes an ample treat. At 70 cents a piece, it's a bargain.


I got mine at Ho Yuen Bakery in Boston's Chinatown, but it must be available elsewhere. I've been there twice, and it seems to sell out a little past mid-afternoon on Saturdays. I think they will look lovely in a box for the next time I need to bring snacks to a friend's place.

No comments: