Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sundubu Chigae

A warm and comforting food. It was actually the first Korean food I've ever had. I was 19, and I was in Monterey Park, CA. My family and I were on vacation, and we were starving. Somehow we ended up at a place unremarkably called Lee's Tofu (is it still there?) that served the first and best tofu soup in my memory. I've since tried tofu soups in a couple of other Korean places, but I couldn't find anything quite as good. I like cooking my own food, and finally 2 years ago, I decided that I would venture into the unfamiliar world of Korean cuisine. The result -- a cheap and simple dish that doesn't require too many exotic ingredients that I can't reuse. (Note: I consider soy sauce and sesame oil kitchen staples.)

You do have to buy 1-2 special things from the Korean grocery store, depending on which recipe you choose. But I guarantee that you can use these special ingredients again.


The special ingredients: 1. red pepper flakes (mandatory); 2. gochujang (red pepper paste)


Red pepper flakes -- available at a Korean grocery store in huge 1-- 3lb bags (I was surprised when I first got my bag : see Understanding Koreans.) Ask the store if you're uncertain which type to get -- tell them that you're making soup. You can store your bag in the freezer.

Gochujang -- available at a Korean grocery store, possibly a larger Chinese supermarket. I use the seasoned one, mixed with sugar and sesame oil (my brand is Wang's). If you use those from the red boxes, they are way spicier (beware) and you should probably add some sugar and sesame oil to your recipe.


Pork and Kimchi Sundubu Chigae
1 16oz package of silken tofu (quartered)
~4oz pork meat (thinly sliced)
8oz kimchi, diced (you can use the entire 16oz jar if you can't figure what else to do with it)
1 egg
1 scallion thinly chopped (optional)

Meat seasoning: 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp chopped garlic, 1/2 tsp sesame oil, ground black pepper
Soup seasoning: 2-3 tsp red pepper flakes, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tsp salt, 1tsp chopped garlic, ground black pepper

1/2 cup water
oil

If you bought a chunk of pork, here is an easy way to slice it thin (requires advance preparation): freeze the chunk of pork, and then let it thaw for 4-8 hours in the fridge. The pork will then be hard enough to provide "support", while being soft enough for you to easily cut it.

1. Season pork with the meat seasoning.
2. Add 1/2 tbsp oil (olive works) to pot on medium-high heat, add pork and kimchi. Stir for a couple of minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add water, tofu, and soup seasoning. Mix gently.
4. Allow the soup to come to a boil, then lower heat to med-low. Let that simmer for another ~30 -- 45 minutes.
5. Before serving, crack an egg over the soup and stir gently. Sprinkle scallions to garnish. Serve with rice.

Seafood Sundubu Chigae
(I'm using shrimp and fish, but you could probably also use scallops and squid as well. Mix those 4 up!)
1 16oz package of silken tofu
1/4 lb shrimp, shelled
1/4 lb cod fillet (I like cod, and I haven't experimented with other fish)
1 egg
1 scallion (optional)

Seafood seasoning: 1/4 tsp salt, ground black pepper
Soup seasoning: 2 tsp red pepper flakes, 2-3 tsp gochujang (reduce to 1/8 if you're using real gochujang), 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic, ground pepper

1/2 cup water
oil

1. Cut seafood into bitesized pieces. Add seasoning and mix.
2.
2. Add 1/2 tbsp oil (olive works) to pot on medium heat, add seafood. Stir for a couple of minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add water, tofu, and soup seasoning. Mix gently.
4. Allow the soup to come to a boil, then lower heat to med-low. Let that simmer for another ~15 -- 30 minutes.
5. Before serving, crack an egg over the soup and stir gently. Sprinkle scallions to garnish. Serve with rice.

No comments: