Thursday, May 14, 2009

gamja tang in Boston

I noticed Hanmaru in Allston after it was damaged by a fire last year: people were upset about their favorite restaurant closing. Thus I was looking forward to Hanmaru's re-opening, which happened about a month ago.

Before going, I did my research on yelp, and found out that the restaurant is famous for gamja tang, which means potato soup in Korean, but it is really more of a spicy pork soup with some potato. Anyone who complained on yelp ordered something else, and was deservedly disappointed. I mean, if everyone around you ordered one dish, why would a newcomer try a different dish?

The gamja tang was not spicy by my standards (which are low). The meat, if you're looking closely, is pork spine. It tastes way better than it sounds. The meat is very tender after hours of boiling and falls right off the bone, and the soup is flavorful. They serve the meat with a wasabi-soy dipping sauce, which goes surprisingly well with the meat. I'd say that it takes it to a different level.

You should try to pack the leftovers to go: the soup is thick by the time it boils down (it's served on a portable stove by the way) while you eat, and makes an excellent simple fried rice. Just add rice and stir.

The portions should serve 2-3 people comfortably. If you happen to be more than 3, I have no recommendations about other dishes to order. Oddly, the restaurant serves Thai food as well.

No comments: