Thursday, May 29, 2008

Unusual food of the day

Rind of the watermelon.

I was at the microwave warming up my lunch when I noticed an unusual vegetable in my colleague's lunchbox. It looked like small slivers of peach, an inch long, 1/8'' thick, yellow with a red tinge on the inner curve. I was pretty certain that it wasn't peach though, so I asked him.

He told me that it was watermelon. After scooping out the delicious red part, you are left with the rind which is normally discarded. If you took off the hard green exterior though, you have that white/red transition part that is usually hard and not very tasty. She sliced that part up and probably just stirfried it.

I'm going to have to look this up when I have a little more time. They are Chinese, so I assume it might be a Chinese dish even though I've never heard of it.

No comments: